Wednesday, May 13, 2009

yep, he was right

I apologize for being gone. Dan was, indeed, right. I crashed the next day. Ellen explained why.
You know how I've been freezing (ok, well, wearing 3 layers daily) because I've been living in Florida for the past 4 years? And people always say, "Oh, your blood's thinned!" Well, apparently, they're right!

Because we don't get as much oxygen up here, our bodies have to learn to use what little oxygen we do get more efficiently. This is from National Geographic, where hypoxia is a fancy word for altitude sickness:

Hemoglobin is the protein in red blood cells that ferries oxygen through the blood system. Having more hemoglobin to carry oxygen through the blood system than people at sea level counterbalances the effects of hypoxia.

So, basically, I got tired and achy because my body was working overtime to produce more hemoglobin. The good news? I should be warmer. The bad news? I'm probably going to pass out at Jessica's wedding, which is in July, outdoors, in hot, humid Florida.







1 comment:

  1. You do know that if you pass out down here, we are going to draw on your forehead and take pictures! Just thought I'd give you the heads up! :) [The pictures will be so you can blog about it with proof... cause we're caring like that]

    ReplyDelete