Sunday, May 17, 2009

shelves - the idea

Have I yet mentioned that there will be 8, yes, I said EIGHT, women sharing the 1, yes, I said ONE, bathroom?  And at one point, there will be 10, yes, I said TEN, women sharing that ONE bathroom.  

Let me show you the bathroom.

Please note the lack of storage space.  

You see this big open space above the toilet?  

That's what we, in the business, like to call wasted space.  Especially with that many women in one bathroom. 

Necessity breeds invention.

I decided we needed a cabinet in there, but something much larger (and cheaper) than what you can buy.  There's plenty of scrap wood around the ranch, so I decided to make one.

Oh yeah, by the way, I've NEVER made anything before.  Well, except for a jewelry rack for the Seester in jr. high, but I'm pretty sure I had boys do most of the work.  

Saws scare me.  

Anyhow, my dad can build most anything.  And he can tell you how to build most anything.  So I emailed him about it and he suggested I BUY a shelf.  You see?  I've never built anything.  And I suppose after plumbing with me on Skype for hours on end, he wasn't looking forward to my little project.  

My mother intercepted the email and suggested I get some sort of boxes for the shelves rather than create doors.  Brilliant!  Not only do I not have to deal with hinges, etc., each girl gets her own box!


I picked up 8 mini-milk crates from Wal-Mart for a buck a piece, then created my shelves around them.

Because I'm so dadgum proud of myself, I'm going to show you how I did it.  So, if you have AB-SO-lute-ly no interest in how to make shelves, you don't have to stop by tomorrow.  If you have only a slight interest, you may scroll through the pictures.  And if you really don't believe I did this, you can read and look at the pictures.  

Here's to hoping I'll see you tomorrow!

Yours truly,
The Shelf Wrangler


No comments:

Post a Comment