Friday, May 15, 2009

trailer backing

So I don't have any pictures to go with this.  Or video.  I'm sure you're all wishing I did.

I have needed to learn to back a trailer for about 10 years now.  Somehow, this came up in conversation with Dan.  Probably, when I asked if he wanted me to load the flatbed with wood.  He said, "Ok, that's what we're doing this afternoon."  Backing the trailer, that is, not loading wood.

Now, you know you have a pretty cool boss, when he says, "Well, now that you have your boss in the truck with you, you're probably going to kill it a million times," referring to the manual transmission truck.  Fortunately, I did not.  At least not a million times.  

Then he had me back up to the trailer.  And said, "It's probably going to take you at least 6 tries.  But I'm going to get out, so you can do it without me staring at you," which was awesome. I did it in 2, thank you very much.  Oh, and he didn't freak out when I went 6 inches too far...into the trailer hitch.  

Once we got the trailer connected, he had me try backing on the road.  

"You know what?  Having me sit here is not helping you at all.  Why don't you take the truck and trailer to the West Pasture and have fun.  Go!  Have fun!"

So, I did.  

About 45 minutes later, I finally had it.  I'm not proclaiming to be a backing pro, but I've got the gist of it.

10 years.  10 years I've been waiting for a trailer, a big pasture, and some time, oh yeah, and a cool boss to give me the leeway to do it.  

I finally got it.  

1 comment:

  1. U mean when you get back, I won't have to drive all of the time! Whoo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete