Tuesday, May 19, 2009

shelves - the hanging

Wow.  Sounds like we took a hangman's noose and just ripped 'er loose, doesn't it?  

Well, as it turns out, hanging those dadgum shelves was the hardest part about creating them.  

Dana had just arrived an hour earlier, literally, but we welcomed her by cramming her, along with Cookie, Wrangler Sarah, and me into the tiny bathroom.  

I started by looking for studs.  Yes, I know, I am ALWAYS looking for studs, but I was looking for the ones in the wall, this particular time.  And I am proud to say that my ear picked up the first one, via knocking, right away.  

The second, third, and fourth time, however, I missed.  Finally, by the fifth try, I had Sarah go get the stud finder, because I was failing miserably, even with measuring.  

As it turns out, on this ranch, studs are here, studs may be there, or studs may not be at all.  Neither Dan, nor Ellen, were surprised that I couldn't find one where there SHOULD have been one.  And there was only one.  So I REALLY hope that shelf holds.

I was using a small drill bit, which Dan bought for me since I broke the other two.  And it was really hard for me to get the screw in without spinning the drill, so Cookie took over for me.  


This is her concentrating face.  

And by the way, she is putting her foot on the sink counter to get enough force to put the top one in, so it's not that I'm just a wuss.  I mean, that is part of it, but not all of it.  


Wrangler Sarah is only smiling because I told her how to hold it more easily.  She was sweating 2 seconds before that.  


Dana is our camera woman, so you're not seeing her, but this is Cookie finishing up the job.


And this is my idea.  Come to fruition.  In all its glory.  

It makes me smile every time I go into the bathroom.  

4 comments:

  1. GOOD JOB!!!! applause....

    I got an email that said RT to Coloradao for $138 = great deal. I agree. How much would it cost for the Dude Ranch experince too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that I was surprised by is that you didn't embellish the shelves with some pretty girl flowers or something. I mean, since when do you turn down the opportunity to paint something?

    - Seester

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumndove - you can go to the Sundance Trail link on the left side of my page and see the prices there. The ticket is definitely the cheapest part. :)

    Seester - you're right, but my paint choices are barn red or gray...and I actually really NEEDED these shelves! Maybe at some point, I'll make them pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ms. sherrie always puts names and pictures on the kids' cubbies... might be easier than paint :-)

    ReplyDelete