Tuesday, June 16, 2009

you will be missed

Do you think it's possible to love someone without really knowing them?

If it is possible, I think Slim might be that guy.


Today was his last day here on the ranch and while I haven't spent much personal time with him (or work time, for that matter), I think he is an awesome person.  And I have a lot I could learn from him.

Slim is a wealth of knowledge and never shy to share it.  I mean, I could ask him any question on how to do anything and he never got annoyed.  If you've ever tried to teach me something that uses common sense, you understand the depths of his patience.  

He is always willing to help.  If he walks by on his way to do something else, he stops to see if you need help with what you're working on.  Or, if he has just finished unsaddling his group, he doesn't walk off; he sticks around to help you get your group unsaddled, too.  

When you're around Slim, you can just tell he's someone who cares.  Whenever he gives you unsolicited advice, it's not out of spite, it's always because he just wants to make your life that much better.  And it's worth listening to!

Now, don't get to thinking that Slim is just some little pansy, push-over just because he's nice.  His personality matches his physical build.  He's tall and skinny, but tough as nails!  I tell ya, he put up one heck of a fight today when we went to give him his horse trough farewell...even after he was thrown from the horse he's been fighting for a year.  Ironic that she won on his last day, isn't it?

So what will be my favorite memory of my month and a half of working with Slim?

Today as I was walking into the horse paddock, he was saying good bye to each one.  His eyes were on fire from tears that wouldn't fall.  He looked at me and said, "They become your family," and gave me one of the best hugs in my life.  


So I guess if I were to answer my own question, I do think you can love someone you don't know very well.  And I know that Slim will be very missed around here.  By everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment