Saturday, August 1, 2009

cheyenne frontier days

Roo, Georgia, and I went to the Cheyenne Frontier Days last Friday. As crazy as this is to imagine, after all these years of living out here, I have never been before.

They call it, "The Daddy of Them All". Although I'd actually been saying "Granddaddy," which I still think I like better.

Daddy or Granddaddy, I think it was probably THE BEST rodeo I have ever been to and I think I've been to a decent number of rodeos.

It had the usual stuff.

Broncs, bull riding, roping, barrels, steer wrestling, etc.

Then there was the fun stuff in between. Like the race to see which baby would run the fastest to get back to it's mama.

My favorite was the miniature horse and her baby.

The most interesting thing was the last event. I can't remember if I've seen this before or not, but it's called the Wild Horse Race.

These pictures aren't the best for focus, but if you look at them closely, you'll see a lot going on.

First, the pick-up men (the guys who help get riders off of bucking animals once they've ridden to the buzzer) bring out a wild horse by a lead rope.
They're the mounted guys in turquoise.

Then, there are teams of 3. And there was even a female team!

Two guys hold the horse while the third tries to saddle it.

If they successfully saddle it (notice the horse on the ground toward the left), the person gets on and tries to ride it all the way around the racetrack.

Of all the teams, only one guy made it. But I was taking video, so I didn't get a picture.

Changing subjects...here's some people watching.

Check out this guy!
He was super colorful in his green boots, yellow shirt, and candy striper vest!

And how cool is it to see all those cowboys line up like that? I like it and you can't change my mind.

Future cowboys are always the best....

And a good day at the rodeo ALWAYS ends with at least two of your buddies in the pokey.

No comments:

Post a Comment