Thursday, August 27, 2009

august rush - camping

Alright, catch up time!

Last weekend, my extended family had their last camping hurrah in Cherokee Park, which is only about 30 miles from me. So, I invited myself on over and joined them. The only problem is, out here, 30 miles takes about an hour and 15 minutes to travel. You know, windy dirt roads with switchbacks. You can only go about 30 mph.

I wanted to go on Thursday night to camp, but I did dishes for Duff, so he could go visit a friend. By the time I got out of the kitchen it was too late. So, on Friday, I did a little job shopping then headed out.

Before I left, I got directions from my aunt and uncle, spoke to Dow, who is a local guy who lives over that way, and spoke to Lars and Amy, who also live over that way. With all that information, I thought I was pretty well armed to make this trip.

Can I tell you how incredibly crazy it is to make a trip like that? Have you ever tried to find someone who's camping???

I got myself to Lars and Amy's place ok. I made it to the cattle guard my aunt mentioned. Yes, I kid you not, these are the directions I was given, "4 miles to the cattle guard". And I didn't read the directions that well, because I wrote down "3 more miles after that", except in the previous sentence it said something about a left. I was supposed to go left somewhere after the cattle guard, THEN go 3 more miles.

But since I didn't write that down, I toodled along. Came to another cattle guard. Hmmm....she didn't say anything about a second cattle guard. Well, it was a pretty drive, so I kept going.

Dow seemed to know where I was talking about when I gave him the directions over the phone and he said, "Sounds like they'll be camping down by the creek." And as I was driving, I saw a campground, right by the creek. Except there was a truck there, which wasn't one of ours. So I continued toodling.

Granted, I only went an extra 5 miles, but again, at 30 mph, this takes a while to double back over a total of 10 miles.

I went back, stopped and asked the guys by the creek if there was another campground nearby. They showed me their map and I headed back.

By the way, there was a pink arrow pointing to the left after the first cattle guard, but I thought there was no way they were thinking that far ahead for me. But here's to wishful thinking! When I headed back, I turned at the pink arrow. There were two more just like it, which led me to tents. My family doesn't camp in tents. At least not my dad's generation.

There was a dude there who told me I could find a "whole bunch" of RVs a few more miles down the road. A bumpy road - something I had seen in the directions! And by "whole bunch" I really hoped he meant, like, um, 2.


Sure enough, a few more miles down and there were my two most favorite RVs ever! I had found the place!!!

My uncle was very surprised that I a) made it and b) even attempted to make it. Then again, his children, for some reason, have big issues with directions.

I hung out with them on Friday afternoon, then headed to Lars and Amy's house to have dinner with them and Dow.

I had to work on Saturday, so I came back to the ranch, worked, then headed back to the campsite. Yes, another hour and 15 minutes just to spend the night there and part of Sunday morning. But it was totally worth it.

When I had arrived on Friday afternoon, there were only 2 RVs.

When I arrived on Saturday evening, there were 4 RVs and 4 or 5 tents.

Full of my family.

What could make a person happier?

Except maybe cuddling up with them after how many days of camping and no showers?

No comments:

Post a Comment