Monday, August 31, 2009

august rush - swing dancing

Cookie has Mondays off. And last Monday was her last Monday. She found this cool place in Old Town, which had swing dancing. Now, note, this was NOT country swing, but swing dancing. Like Lindy, East Coast, West Coast, etc.

And she called, begging me to come and to bring others. Can you imagine a bunch of cowboys in a city bar? ACK! Well, we did it.

And I'm not quite sure the boys knew what to think of it.

Ole Duffer is always the eager student. If only his arms would work so willingly....

He's getting better. He might even, possibly be leading here!

Dave and Cookie are having a go, too! The only problem is trying to teach cowboys that "swing" is much smaller, tidier, compact than "country swing". I think that's kind of a true parallel between most things city and country. Life in the country is just much more, well, big and...coarse. And I definitely don't mean that in a bad way! It just is what it is.

I'm thinking about the small amount of space generally used in swing dancing, whereas country swing uses a circle about 10 feet in diameter. I guess that's just my best way of describing it. Does anyone else have a better way?

Of course the guy in the white t-shirt in the background is disproving my theory....
But the couple in black shirts is proving me correct.

Regardless, we all had a good time and I think Duff even wanted to go back this week to get "real" lessons.

See? We can all coexist peacefully! Cowboys and, um, well, non-cowboys...they can get along.
Ok, maybe Sandra doesn't think so...

No comments:

Post a Comment