Thursday, July 30, 2009

cowgirls don't cry

For you country music fans, you know that George Strait has a song called "Cowgirls Don't Cry". Well, it's the truth!

Urska went for a ride with Dizzy this afternoon.

Urska is our housekeeper. She is NOT a wrangler. She has been learning to ride while she's here.

She was on Montee. He's a big mammajamma.

He's Clydesdale/Quarterhorse cross.

I was trying to show you how tall he is, but he wouldn’t stand still. Let’s put it this way, I can barely see over his back.

Anyhow, I'm just doing my business, when I hear hooves pounding at a full gallop (sprint, in human language). I hear it, I hear it, I hear it....finally, I see Montee come around the trees.

With his saddle hanging sideways.

With his bridle still on.

Without Urska.

Now, I love Dizzy and I trust him fully, so, I took care of Montee first. Caught him, had Dave help me get the saddle loosened and off, and put him back in the paddock.

Then we went looking for Urska.

We found her walking back with Dizzy, thankfully.

She said she was fine, but it turns out Montee stepped on her when he ran off.

Notice the shape of her calf...not quite right. The bruising hasn't started showing yet.

But Urska is a cowgirl. (I was once told a cowboy isn’t made by the clothes, but by his heart.)

She got back on. Ok, well she got back on Oreo, but she got back on.

Bareback.

And she proceeded to slide off at a trot.

And again at a lope.

For a grand total of 3 times, she fell off today…And she got back on every single time.

I told you…cowgirls DON’T cry!


2 comments: