Monday, June 14, 2010

the art of racing in the rain

I've been gone a long time.  I started to give you a meet 'n greet, then didn't have all the pictures I needed.  Got the pictures, didn't have time to upload them.  Tutored for 5 and a half hours after a 9 hour day at the ranch, not to mention the hour and a half drive round trip.  Was exhausted.  Spent the next day in town running errands.  Worked on Saturday, then went to Taste of Fort Collins to watch my cousin's band, Fierce Bad Rabbit, play.  Continued to be exhausted.  Tried to take care of personal stuff, like dealing with insurance, tenants, etc. on Sunday morning before going back to work.  Dealt with my exhaustion last night with a book.

I find there nothing to be more relaxing than settling in with a good book.  Especially when it's cold, cloudy, and rainy.  And apparently that was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Last week's guests are some of my favorite investors.  They live in Ft. Collins and have a cabin in Red Feather, so they pass the ranch all the time.  And don't mind lending us books.  And lend us GOOD books.

The book I started, and am already half-way through, is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.  My cousin and my sister have already read and both thought it was pretty good.  Depending on your speed of reading, I think it can be done somewhere between 2 1/2 (she's a fast reader) and 10 hours.  I'm guessing it will take me about 6.

While it is a really easy read with big print, it's not a kid's book.  There is some cussing, some discussion of adult behavior from the perspective of a dog, and so far, not much violence.  I'd say mostly the sexual stuff, but considering what's on TV these days....

The book is written, as previously mentioned, from a dog's perspective.  It starts out with him being old and then he goes back and starts the family's story using his life as the timeline.  I will warn you, you may need kleenex to get through it.

So far, it's an awesome book. And may have something to do with why I haven't written on here.

Now go!  Read!  Be merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment