Tuesday, April 20, 2010

first day back

Today was my first day back at the Ranch...Sundance Trail Guest Ranch, that is. I'm returning as the head wrangler there, but dude season doesn't start for another month. So, for right now, I'm supposed to be working horses, making sure they're ready to go once everyone arrives.

We need about 6-10 new horses for this season, and usually we lease them, but unfortunately, our lease guy passed away last year. So, we're trying to buy them and get them up here so they can get worked.

Dan already purchased one new kids' horse.

Her name is Mocha. And she is 25...and looks darn good for her age!

But she's not very photogenic...she kept blinking in her pictures!

I only got to work with her for a little while because she was just buddied up with two other new horses (the cook's horses) and had a little limp. I think Dan put it the best way today. Horses are like 7th grade girls. They are always fighting for who the popular one is and they'll beat the snot out of any others just for the heck of it. Basically, you have to kind of eeeeeaaaase a horse into a herd. And even then, they still have to prove themselves and may end up with a swift kick to the......

Anyhow, as I was saying, I didn't get to work Mocha much because she was a little limpy.

After that, we headed down to look at another horse. You know how I used Craigslist to get all my winter jobs? Well, Dan uses it to find horses.

But the weird thing is I somehow always have a connection with the Craigslist people. For instance, the first guy I tutored lived next door to Amy's mom's house. The Food Guy lives less than a mile from my cousin's house (a few towns away). I know my tutoring lady's daughter from Florida...I just haven't figured out from where yet!

So what I'm saying is, Dan was looking for a horse on Craigslist and the girl selling him happens to be Justin's ex-girlfriend, who I know from a couple of years back. We went down to her place to look at the feller and decided he was what we were looking for. Of course I forgot my camera..... But it's ok, he should be here soon.

When we got back, I had just enough time to work the baby.

Rose Blossom is her name, but I always call her baby. She's really little, even though she's 2, because she's the pony's baby.

Amazingly, she remembered everything Georgia and I taught her last summer. And she even took her first steps toward side-passing (moving sideways without moving forward).

Finishing up the day, I helped Dan feed.
He looks like he belongs on that tractor, doesn't he?

I joke because the poor guy gets stuck up in the office on the computer all day. I guess that's what always happens, huh? You get a job you like and then they promote you to management and make you sit at a desk! At least that's what the Seester says.

I guess the good news for me is that I AM management and I STILL have an awesome job - driving tractors and riding horses - who could ask for anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment