Saturday, May 22, 2010

final paint

Well, we finally did it.  Yes, we started this process in March and we finally picked a paint color and painted the living room.  Part of the reason it took so long was because we wanted to do it on a bad weather day such as this...

And this is what it looked like when we got started.  Seriously.  The date on this photo is 5/12/10.

But of course, when I got around to joining on my day off it looked like this.  The date on this photo is 5/14/10 - 2 DAYS APART!!!!  Crazy Colorado weather.

Anyhow, we finally picked a color and just threw it onto the wall.  I almost said "threw it up" on the wall, but I thought that those of you who disagree with my color scheme might have agreed a little too wholeheartedly about the throwing up part. 

What I was looking for was to get a little color into Dow's house since everything was white.  And it's a big house.  Dow is very outdoorsy and does have a lot of paintings, so I was trying to pick something he'd like by pulling from his paintings, but at least get some color in there!

We originally thought about a sage green until we realized that was the color of the curtains.  So we needed something complementary and decided a nice golden, brownish, wheatish color would work wonderfully.  Except finding that color was WAY harder than either of us had anticipated.

We finally settled on Pollen Grains (top) and decided we'd do a dark sage green on the ceiling, which is Dried Basil.  The bottom color was Pollen Grains at 50% white, but we were afraid to mix the green with white ourselves to lighten it, so we went with the original colors. 

My theory on the ceiling was this:  If a dark color on a normal height ceiling makes you feel suffocated, then a dark color on a ridiculously high ceiling would bring it down to a normal level.

And the ceilings are ridiculously high.  We had to use scaffolding just to paint the darn room!

See?  Ridiculously high.  And not to change the subject, but I like how these two colors go together.

This is kind of a gratuitous picture of Dow pretending like he enjoys painting.  I didn't know that painting could put such a good-natured person in such a bad mood....

Here's the final product.  See?  No more smiley faces and rainbows!  And the closet doors are still off because we're going to paint them the same color as the ceiling.  Quite frankly, I like it.

And I even suggested the mount move to that wall, which is a big step for me considering I told Dow they'd look great in the garage after knowing him only a month.  But then again, no one has ever found me at a loss for an opinion, right?

Now we just have to deal with the big space above the left window.  

I've got two ideas going.  

I saw a picture in a decorating magazine that was very plain, minimalist, but covered a good deal of wall space.  They took a slender, bending tree limb and hung old camping pots from it.  I was thinking the same thing, but antler sheds (moose, elk, deer, etc.).  

OR 

Dowma gave me some cloth flour sacks that are about the same size of a bed pillowcase.  Their emblems are faded from being washed, so they look kind of old.  I was thinking maybe I'd hang a clothesline from antler to antler and clip the flour sacks on there.  

Whaddya think?

2 comments:

  1. As much as I like fabric, I'd say nix the clothes line. The antler + pots and pans might be okay, but again, I'm not too crazy over that idea. How about a quilt? Hee,hee. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys did a good job...I like the colors too

    ReplyDelete