Thursday, August 12, 2010

the three little...

!!!!PIGS!!!!

Remember a few weeks ago (ok, let's be honest, it was about two months ago), I promised you a surprise?  And then it didn't happen?  Well, a month ago, it did!  (The dichotomy of a blog?  The more you have to blog about, the less time you have to blog!)

Here's the story.
I have always wanted a pig.  At least I can remember being 7 and wanting a pig.  You see, they have what they call a  greased pig contest at the Lincoln County Fair every year for girls of a certain age.  I'm pretty sure starting at 7 and ending around 11.  And for those of you who know me, I'm of a slight build...always have been.  But some of those farm girls are pretty stout.  So I never caught one.  I'd be happy when I had grease on my hand to prove I'd touched one.

My dad almost bought me one, but somehow, he changed his mind.

20 years later (please don't do the math...), I still wanted one, which means I've been working on Dan for over a year to get pigs.  But it wasn't until Dow came into the picture, that Dan finally caved.

But let's get this out there before you read any further and fall in love with the pigs.  The only way I was getting a pig, with my dad and or Dow, was that we would eat them when they're full grown.  And it doesn't take pigs long to get full grown.  So there you have it.  Yes, we are going to eat these pigs.  I'm sorry.  -- Check back in about 6 months and I show you some great pork recipes!  (Was that too much?  Sorry.  Sometimes city and country humor just doesn't cross over...)

The first night they got here, they were scared to death, but within the first week, they became friendly.

So without further ado, let's meet the three little pigs!

This is Sally.  She's the runt.

And Miss Piggy.  Original, I know, but I couldn't come up with anything else.

Finally, Brutus.  The original name.  You see, before we got the pigs, I cleverly gave them Shakespearean names.  And Dow told me they'd be males, so one was "Oedipig Rex" or Rex for short, and "Eat you, Brute?" or Brutus for short.  (My dad was just glad that one was Pig Latin.)  But we ended up with two females and only one male, so I had to come up with names on the fly.  Don't ask me where Sally came from!

And if there's any doubt in your mind where the term "being a pig" came from, check this out.
But you have to admit...they're undeniably cute!

Not to mention a dream come true!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment